Saturday, June 20, 2009

From the railroad tracks...

After almost two and a half weeks of living with my host family, I am starting to understand somewhat of what they are talking about. With the little bit of language that I am starting to understand and the power of deduction, I am getting the hang of whats going on. I am still continuing to make coffee after some meals. I have cut down on the amount of coffee that I am drinking because I don’t want my blood pressure to go way high (this stems from constant nagging from mom to always be mindful of my blood pressure... guess what... its paying off). I am cutting back on the sweets too. Anyway, as for coffee, this is the typical conversation translated into An-gler-an (English).
My-reek-ee (mother)- do you want coffee (this is after lunch)
Me: do YOU want coffee (and yes, I have figured out how to put the intonation on the correct armenian word)
My-reek-ee: do you want coffee?
Me: I want coffee, if you want coffee
My-reek-ee: I will have coffee
Me: I will have coffee too

Now, this conversation happens everytime there is a chance for coffee. Then I finish it off by asking how many cups I should make. Let me clarify by saying that armenian coffee is served in the espresso sized cups. It is pretty good, but the coffee grounds are at the bottom of the cup (usually as long as you don’t turn the cup all the way upside down, the grinds will stay at the bottom). Anyway, language is coming along...

This week has been hectic. Things are starting to get busier and busier. We had two central days in Charensevan. They are usually long because they are filled with lots of things to do, such as medical class (this week it was STDs and AIDS), S&S (safety and security)- basically don’t do anything stupid. S&S is interesting. Last week we talked about evacuation methods and there is decently thick book given to all of us with numbers and evacuation routes in case there is an emergency. To me... they know what they are doing. It gave me a lot of confidence in this organization when I saw that. Anyway central days usually last from 9am to 6pm with breaks scattered here and there. It is a good time to catch up with the other 5 villages and see how life is. Tomorrow we are meeting back up in the town to play different sports together (american sports). This is just a time to relax and hang out.
We have to plan a Fourth of July celebration for our village. We are meeting with the village mayor on monday. Should be completely awkward. We have to organize it as well as invite our families and friends to attend. We are going to have sparklers... great.
As health volunteers we are to go around the village and seek out potential problematic areas. Now, most of you would say... well, they should replace all the outhouses with indoor plumbing, but that really isn’t a huge health issue. That is what they are used to. Its different but its not bad... to them. (it really isn’t that bad to me either- except for in the middle of the night, when I have to put on my shoes and jacket to quietly sneak out of the house by walking to the door, unlocking it, and trying to awkwardly find my way to the outhouse in the dark. (At least there is a light in the outhouse because that has the potential to be really gross). Anyway, Two things I will never ever take for granted anymore... Charmins and indoor plumbing.

Herding sheep is pretty interesting. Megan is from Montana and her family has a sheep farm so she has no qualms with it. Sheep are stupid, but I am a bit afraid of them even though they are really docile. Coming from the city where sheep are not really abundant... when you see twenty sheep coming straight at you, it is only natural to be a little hesitant to be standing in their way. I always start laughing when they start Baaaahhhhing at each other. Papeek (the grandfather that stays with the sheep all day) always gives me a weird look when I start laughing ( I get a lot of those- although the little girl, Anahit, has stopped looking at me like Im retarded).
Another thing we have to do (in our “tech” training- which mine is health) is to interview people on their health habits. With three weeks of language, this may be a little tricky, but we have to do it. There is a lot more work than I thought in this thing called Peace Corps. Good thing it pays well (wait a second)...
On Sunday, I am going to Razdan which is another larger town/small city to go to church with my family. Should be interesting because I stick out like a sore thumb. People just stop and stare. Its interesting. Anyway, Im excited about going to the church. Should be a good time. Good thing I brought my Bible so I can read it in church and somewhat know whats going on (ha ha).
Other than that. I am in a good routine. There are mountains surrounding the village and on one of the mountains there is a church in ruins which was built in the 8th century. My family said they would take me up there sometime. You can see a little bit of the rubble from the village.
The stresses of being here are taking their toll. From the frustrations of not knowing the language and starting to get over the honeymoon stages are starting to unfold. Mike had his day. I had mine with Megan, Paul had his yesterday and Lisa I think is going through hers now. There will be more days but that is just a part of it. Constantly seeing each other. Being frustrated with just things... thats just a part of it, but I think we are coping well.
Again, I cannot complain about anything. I am learning a lot and am still stunned every morning when I walk to school. I walk up the trail behind my house to the railroad tracks and walk on them for about 50 meters and then go on a trail heading up a small hill to the road. It is at this point, I have a clear view of most of the village with the mountains stretching out as far as the eye can see. It is here that I just forget everything for a moment and am just in awe. I can’t say it enough... its just beautiful here. I haven’t gotten tired of it yet. (the view- or anything else).
I suppose that is it for right now. We get our site placement next thursday. I hope I don’t get placed somewhere crappy. Most of the health people are placed in rural villages (meaning two years of outhouse-age). I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but I have started to make a flushing noise everytime I finish in the outhouse so that I am not completely lost when i come back to the states.
Done and done... until next time.
Love,
Me

2 comments:

  1. PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!

    Would you please post some pictures, already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I had dinner with Feducia last night. We made fun of you.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete