Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad (soon)


So things have been good for the past while. I guess the whole time. So, what Im trying to say is that things are still going really well. I got a package from my parents. It was nice getting the package. There really wasn’t anything for me. I got four pairs of black socks because I needed them. Also I got a money clip that TJ’s mom gave me for graduation. It is nice to have that because it is a good idea to keep money in my front pocket so I just keep a couple bills together. Also, I got four canisters of Moravian cookies because Dewey’s was probably having a sale because they couldn’t sell all 4 billion cans over the Christmas season. It is nice having stuff from home. Most of the newly arrived package was stuff for my host family. Dad got my host Dad and brother a leatherman knife. They were so thrilled about it. Its pretty cool to have something like that because that is one of those things that isn’t sold here. I got a leatherman when I was thirteen. I think I used one of my paychecks from summer camp on my first leatherman, but to be honest, I haven’t really used it all that much. Those leathermans that I just gave to my host family, now Im sure that they will get a lot of good use out of them. Honestly, Leatherman made a pretty solid product. It is very practical. My Mom got my host Mom and sisters earrings. They really liked them too. They didn’t really understand why they got this stuff so I just explained that my parents in America wanted to thank my host family here for getting me off of their hands... I guess my translation didn’t come across well because they gave me a blank look. (I went to the dictionary and I basically told them in the most literal sense “my parents wanted me off of their hands”... Anyway, they were really appreciative.

On Friday we took an old Soviet era train back from our central day. I actually ran into my family at the train station and we rode back together. Guess what happened when we got back to my village. God decided that he wanted to open up the clouds full throttle. After we got off at our stop, we waited for the train to leave and then we walked on the tracks to the house. By the time I got back to the house, I was completely soaked. It was nice because I got two showers in one week. Now that is something to get excited about. (too bad I didn’t have soap).

I bought a guitar. We went to Yerevan on Sunday to go to the Museums. I wanted to go to the art museum but we were forced to go to the history Museum. I don’t really care for history so I wasn’t too excited about it and I wanted a guitar really badly so I didn’t get a chance to go to the art museum. At the same time, I know that I am here for two years and Im sure that I will get a chance to go. Anyway, after the guided tour of the history museum provided by Peace Corps, Mike, Nick, Ani, and I went guitar shopping. There is an open market in Yerevan called the Vern-a-sage. Ani had gone earlier in the week to scope out what was there. She is my Health Tech Trainer and she is really nice. She went well out of her way to help me out. So we visited the two places that sold the guitars. The guitars were really cool. They couldn’t keep a tune and looked like crap but they had a lot of character to them. I wanted one just to look at. They were old Russian guitars about 3/4ths the size of a regular guitar and they were made for seven strings. Like I said, they couldn’t keep a tune so we took a taxi to a music shop that sold new guitars. I found a good enough guitar that was made in China for about 120 dollars. It played pretty well. I was really excited. Trust me, I played it a lot. A LOT. This was Saturday. Mike and I had a sleep over. Half because he came over to hang out and it was raining to hard and he didn’t want to walk back home. No biggie, we watched a movie and told manly stories but in the morning there was no waffle making (um, this last like would make sense if you saw the movie “Shrek.”)

Sunday was rather busy because we had to come up with two lesson plans. I was paired up with Mike and David and we did our lesson on drinking water and water purification. It went pretty well. Paul and I also had to plan our lesson for Thursday and Friday. We are going to do First Aid. Should be pretty fun. We also have our community project on Sunday. Its crazy how fast things are moving along. Can you believe that Sunday is going to be August 2nd. I JUST GOT HERE... or so it feels like.

I have a pretty good routine now. Another thing I got in my package was a new plug for my iHome and a power converter. If you can remember back to one of my first blogs, I had fried the plug to my iHome the first day I was here because I didn’t read the power voltage on the iHome plug. When I saw white smoke come out of the plug, I knew that wasn’t a good sign. Anyway, so I have enjoyed listening to the iHome that Mr. Dickerson gave me before I left. It really puts out a good sound. So I really am all set. I have a guitar to play, and music to listen to; plenty of books to read. I usually spend time with the family at night when they are all here.

Yesterday it was my host parent’s 18th anniversary so they made “horovats” or Armenian Barbeque. The meat didn’t really taste like lamb meet so I asked what it was. They said it was heart, liver, and something else I didn’t understand. You know, it really wasn’t too too bad but after they told me what it was, I had somewhat of a gag reflex. Its just something that Im not used to eating. I kept eating it though. I got some boiled eggs, mashed them up, added that with some cilantro and onions and then cut up the lamb “meat” up and wrapped it in lavash (the armenian flat bread). I still tasted it but it wasn’t not as strong as it would have been alone. You gotta try everything at least once. At the same time, my host Mom makes this really nice cherry juice. Holy crap thats good stuff. They pick the cherries from their backyard, boil the water, add some sugar and voila, awesomeness.

Again, I want to thank everyone sending me emails. They are really nice to read. I have no clue whats going on in the states. Only the important stuff makes it to Armenia... like Michael Jackson’s death (and yes, that is important, after his death, I listened to his music- on my earphones because I didn’t have that plug yet-for two or three days).

Has anyone heard from Brandon? Is his leash already that tight? Will get back to me on that one.

Um, so that is about all Ive got right now. I will let you know how our community project goes. We have a week and a half left of the practica. Its not too bad once you get in a routine and figure out what works and what doesn’t. That is all.

Until next time.
I miss everyone. EVERYONE. Send me some chick-fil-a. (Actually, please don’t because over the course of three weeks, it will not be as good). Seriously don’t.

Jon, I called you, but I guess you were sleeping or doing something else; at least, if not more, unproductive. (I love you brother)
Mom, Dad, thanks for calling me on Saturday and Sunday. Talk to you again soon.

1 comment: