Friday, August 28, 2009

Let's get ready to rumble...

I finally got sworn in on Thursday. It was pretty cool. I woke up early and went to the school and took the marshutni (small bus) provided by Peace Corps to the ceremony. It was funny because it was just supposed to be the volunteers but the families decided to come too. Not everyone in the families came but one of my sisters and my host mom came. We all crammed into the marshutni and off we went. When we got to the swearing in, there were a whole lot of people there. Previous volunteers, families, the PC staff, the American Ambassador to Armenia, the media, and of course us. The program started off with our Country Director making a few comments about our training and what lies ahead of us and then the Ambassador spoke about Peace Corps. After her speech, she then swore us in. It was really cool experience taking an oath administered by the federal government. It talks about upholding the US constitution and defending it from foreign and domestic enemies. It is the same one that all federal employees have to take. At least I think so. The Ambassador said it was the same one that she took. Regardless, it gave me a sense of pride that I was doing this for a country that has given me so much. I think in America, we forget, or we don’t get the chance to see how great our country really is, and what kind of true benefits we have. Anyway, following the searing in, two of the volunteers made speeches in Armenian and then we sang. It was really cool to sing. We actually sounded pretty good. Someone recorded us so maybe one day you can hear it when I get back home. We sang a traditional Armenian song. Then one of the villages decided to do a play that was written by a famous Armenian writer. After that, the program was finished.

During and after the swearing in, there was media everywhere. Apparently, anytime the Ambassador comes to an event, the media follows. I was one of those “lucky” ones chosen to have an interview. I told the media lady that I had been speaking Armenian for only two months and said that I wouldn’t be able to speak very well. She said it was fine. Either way, I stumbled through the interview and told of how excited I was to be there serving and how hospitable the people were and how beautiful the country was. What an experience. Mike took a picture of the experience.

The rest of the day, we celebrated at the cafe/restaurant we always went to and we went home. I was exhausted so I took a nap and then afterwards hung out with the family. Around nine or ten o’clock, I went over to an area close to Mike’s house and all of us met to see the meteor shower. Forgot what its called. but in the two hours we were out there, we saw about ten really good “stars” shooting and some other not so good ones. But what a place to be to see the showers. It was really nice... and cold. I got back home around 12:30 and went to bed.

Friday, August 14th. The big day. Moving to our new sites. It was hard. I had packed my things the night before and finished packing that morning. I was supposed to meet at the school at 8:45. I was getting ready to start my trekS to the school with all my stuff, but then my Dad said that a car was going to come and take all the stuff to the school. It was rough to say goodbye. I lived with the family for two months and boy were there tears. My granddad gave me a hug and wouldn’t let go. Same with the Grandmother. My host mom got emotional and so did my host dad. We loaded up the car and off I went. To be honest, in about a month I will have the opportunity to see them again but I hope that gives you (the reader) an understanding of the family dynamic here and how they really included me like I was really a member of the family. Here, family is number one and it really shows. We got to the school and loaded up the bus. All the families were there and all the mom’s were crying. Our teachers came too. It was really emotional. My tongue got a little swollen because I was holding back because once I get started, its over.

We rode to the school and they divided us up into the area where we were going. I rode with Kyle, Hector, Nick, and Pat. Terrie (who lives in my village and who has also been here for one year) came along too. It was a fast drive. About an hour and a half to my site. I was the last one to be off-loaded.

My new site is nice. My room is different, and better, than the one I had during my site visit one month prior. I unpacked my things and hung out around the house. Honestly, I don’t have that much I have to be doing for the next two weeks until school starts. Today I am going to go into the city to get some things I need. I have a really good site though. I have 7 volunteers in really close proximity to me, one of which lives in the same village. This will come in handy when its winter time and there is nothing to do.

Anyway, that is it. I am officially a volunteer now. Cool.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment