Sunday, December 6, 2009

Another Interesting Weekend

I know this is a bit unorthodox and I usually write every week or at least try to, but I had to write about my weekend because it was that interesting. So, if you are reading this one, make sure you read the one that I wrote four days ago too, because that ones a doozy too.

But before I talk about this past weekend, I forgot to mention what I did last Wednesday. I went to Terri’s school. I was pretty excited to go because some of the teachers at her school always stop me in the road and ask why I haven’t been there yet. I usually respond with “ who are you”. So finally I make my way out to the school. Its really nice. It was renovated last year so the structure of the building looks very good. However, I think there was some kind of compensation. Here’s why. I walked into the teacher’s lounge and they all just stared at me. How fantastic. No one said a word to me. The bell finally rang and I went with Terri and her counterpart out of there to their class. When I walked in the kids just looked at me. Terri and her counterpart started the class by letting me introduce myself and letting them ask me questions, all in English. Crickets. So that was what it was like for pretty much all three classes that I went to. It was really strange how in the same village, their personalities are so different from those at my school. You may be saying “well its because you’re new to the school”, yeah, Terri said that this is how the faculty and the kids are everyday to her, pretty much. So, with that said, I am really happy I am at my school. I feel bad for Terri now and can understand better what she is going through. We’re not going to even talk about her counterpart. I mean, she was nice to me...

So, on to the meat of this blog. So on Sunday I was supposed to go to Yerevan to have a meeting with American Council about training HIV/AIDS stuff to the Alumni there. I decided that I didn’t want to go because the guy I was corresponding with wasn’t going to be there either and they have meetings every month and I didn’t have all my information together anyway. So. that was that. Hector called me on Friday and told me that the “get together” was the next day and that his mom had spent the day cooking a bunch of stuff. This was news to me because I thought the previous weekend when we had talked about it, we were doing just that, talking about it. No set plans. So let me say again that when you go to Hector’s house it is like preparing for a marathon. Maybe not, I don’t know. I have never run a marathon and never plan to. Anyway, I need about a week to mentally ready my mind and my stomach for this kind of ordeal. I didn’t have that time to ready myself. Anyway, since Hector’s mom had made all this food and stuff, I had to go.

I didn’t want to walk this time since no one was going to be with me so I decided that I would wait and take the bus. So at 2:30 I left my house to go to the store to buy some things and then went to the bus stop. Nick texted me and asked where I was and told him I was at the bus stop which right after he informed me that the bus was just passing the last house of my village headed toward Hector’s village. Great. It was a really pretty day and I started my trek out to his house. It was about 3 in the afternoon. It wasn’t freezing cold, there were a few clouds in the sky and a some wind. It was beautiful again out there. This time, it was just me so all I could hear were my footsteps and the wind blowing over my ears. It was really nice. I enjoyed my walk. Then when I got to the village limits of Hector’s village, Pat calls and tells me that he is coming and he will pick me up in my village in the taxi he is in. I quickly inform him that I had already walked the distance to Hector’s house and to be honest, Im glad I did. So, Pat, Nick, Hector and his family started the food marathon. We ate for a good four hours or so. Then we played all sorts of games and by 10:00 I was really tired so I went up to Hector’s room.

We ended up just talking about stuff until 1am. It was good to catch up with those guys.

The next morning, we ate, more food. We actually had baby chickens, or “chicks” for breakfast. Talk about really tender meet. Very good.

So this is where things get a little off track. Hector’s mom came over and asked if any of us knew how to kill and skin a rabbit. Good thing I was a boy scout because I learned that stuff. So they asked Hector if he would kill the rabbit. This was really weird because they kill cattle and pigs and sheep all the time to eat. I didn’t understand why they had so much trouble killing the rabbit, until... I found out that the rabbit was the little boys pet. I don’t know why, but the family wanted to eat the little kids pet but they didn’t want to kill it. So, Pat and Hector killed the rabbit. I couldn’t watch the killing. I could hear the rabbit screaming... and then silence. It was a horrible high pitched squeal. It was horrible too because they “sharpened” the knife but Hector had to pretty much saw at the neck. Well anyway, after that, we had to skin it. I helped out with this part but that was weird too. They cut off the head. I had to grab the throat and try to pull everything out. The weird and most disgusting part was the fact that the rabbit was still warm. I took me a while to get over that part but when I did, we got the skin off. How interesting. Its funny because in America I probably wouldn’t have done this but here, it happens all the time. Its a way of life here. They butcher the cow right next to the school and polyclinic. So I guess I have just become used to it? Don’t really know the right words to use.

Anyway, two hours later, we ate Thumper. The meat was really tough. Good, but tough. Soon after that, Pat and I walked back. Again it was really nice and it went a lot faster because the road is sloped slightly downhill. I got back and hung out with my Grandmother and Mom until the rest of the family came back.

The house is warm once again and will stay warm until New Years. Thank God.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment