Thursday, October 14, 2010

Kids say the darndest things...

Last weekend, my friend Gayvorg got married. I was excited because although I went to Sean’s wedding, it wasn’t a completely Armenian style wedding. I wanted that cultural experience. Gayvorg and his wife are both Armenian and I was ready for this experience. From what I heard, it was a whole lot of drinking, dancing, and a whole crapload of food. I went to Yerevan on Saturday and took the evening bus in because I don’t really like being in Yerevan longer than I absolutely have to be. I went to the office and did some work there and used the internet and headed over to Elvira and Jason’s house. I stay there sometimes when I need to a place to stay and I like hanging out with Jason. Jason is interesting because he is the gardener boss of “lover’s park” and he owns a church in Vermont because he thought it would be a good investment. Now, some five to ten years later, he still owns it. He used to live in it. I can hear him tell that story a million times and never get bored of it.

Ok, so they frequently have visitors over, whether other PC Volunteers or couchsurfers. This particular night, there was a full house. A family from New Zealand was staying at their house to I slept on the floor. No big deal. The next morning, we had breakfast, and then I sat around for a while until it was time to go to the wedding.

So, it was Elvira, Jason, Their ten month old, and myself. We got in a taxi and went to the hostel where Gayvork works and waited. Elvira asked me to go and see what was going on, so I went and asked some of the other workers at the hostel, Ani and Anahit. As I was turning around, the bus was pulling away so I ran after the bus. The bus stopped and I asked if there were three seats on the bus. After the bus driver said yes, I ran back to the taxi and told them to come to the bus. But then, someone else pulled up in their own car and said they could give us a ride, so I ran back to the bus to tell them that they could leave. Then I ran back to the taxi to make sure that Elvira and Jason were coming and then we collectively ran to the car and got in. So, if you can imagine, a guy in a suit running around a street trying to get a ride to the wedding which was held in a village outside of Yerevan. We got in and we were on our way.

We were about 15 minutes. Armenian weddings are about 20 minutes long. I got to see five minutes of the wedding. I didn’t know any of the other people there and neither did Jason nor Elvira so we just huddled and talked and walked around. I asked the same guy if he would give us a ride back to Yerevan and he said that since he brought us out there, he would take us back. Sweet. I think I forgot to mention we picked up two of his friends, so I was sitting in the front, Jason, Elvira and two girls sat in the back with the baby... in one row. Again... sweet.

So from the church we went to some private house somewhere. I had no idea where it was but all 60 some people went in. This is where it deviates from a true Armenian wedding. Basically, it was everyone standing up drinking wine and eating hors devours. I was starving and as soon as I got into the place, I picked up a wine glass and starting drinking because I thought there would be ample amounts of food. This was not the case. I was about two glasses in, and realized there was no food except for hors devours so Jason and I went over and tried to make a meal out of the hors devours. It didn’t happen. So in my semi-drunk state, I wandered into the kitchen and asked if they needed a hand making the food faster so that I could soak up some of the wine swishing around my stomach. I asked in Armenian and the guy responded in English. The owner of the house owned a restaurant which serves pretty good food. His name was Charles and he is originally from Scotland. His Grandfather was Armenian. So we got into a conversation and then finally Jason came in to help out with the talking. I kept telling him how I loved his lawn because it had real grass on it. This is something you don’t really find in Armenia... a lawn with grass. I told him that it had been about 15 months since I had touched real grass. He just looked at me... He also had two black labs. Reminded me of Raven, our black “lab” back in the States. Anyway, it was nice talking to Charles. (its even better if you say “Charles” in a classy British accent).

Anyway, Jason, Elvira, the kid, and I left early and went to find a place to get some food. We ate and then Jason and Elvira had to go back home so I met up with Gayane, the girl that I taught with for FLEX and we hung out with her friends. It was the 2792 birthday of Yerevan and there were bands playing everywhere so I went with her group to see some concerts. They were just on the street. I was the only sucker wearing a suit. I knew this because it seemed like everyone that passed me just stared at me. I get stared at anyway because I don’t Armenian, but the suit just added to it.

Around 9:30 I left and went to the wedding after party at a bar somewhere. I didn’t know anybody there, but struck up conversation with random people. Soon thereafter I left.

The next morning I left to come back home. I got back and met with my school director to talk about the progress of the bathroom. We were supposed to start the previous Thursday, then it was supposed to start on Tuesday, then today, and now probably next week. Um, its getting wicked cold here and it has already snowed once in the village where Hector lives which is 1 hour away from me by foot. So I don’t know what’s going on with that.

Onto another subject. I am teaching English now and I was in the class with the 7th graders and there was a little girl reading this line “The sun was out shining” She read it as “The sun was out shitting.” I about lost it. I think I remember this happening last year. I started chuckling a little and the teacher asked what was funny, so I had to tell her that the story reminded me or something funny. Aren’t kids just the darndest. Other than that, nothing really else to say. I know I say this everytime, but is has gotten colder. I wear my down jacket now everyday when Im at home. Its swell.

I am going up to Gavar tomorrow to see some of my friends there and just hanging out. Should be a good time.

Dad, I got my package yesterday. I don’t have it here but another volunteer saw it and has it now and I just have to get it from him now.

That’s it.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment