Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Khashi leaves the city

So during my down day in Martuni, after the PDO, I basically just laid around, that is until my Regional Manager asked me to go back to Yerevan to talk to the host families about living with a volunteer. These were going to be the families who were going to permanently host the new A-19 volunteers. Vardan, my neighbor, was there. It was good to see him there. I picked on him quite a bit during my talk about experiences in the village but he was a good sport about it and laughed.

Now Vardan is not the most cultured of people, a good guy, but in social settings, he could learn a couple things. I was standing in the back of the room watching our RM tell the future host families about whatever. My RM said that the volunteers could range from age 21 to 70. As soon as my RM said 70, Vardan yells from the crowd “70?” (awkward silence, then me slapping my forehead). RM “yes”. Vardan “there are 70 year olds who come to Armenia?” This was very awkward for me. But I spoke to him later and it was fine.

There is something that you (as the reader in America) should understand, is how excited older volunteers get when they see trainees because they are new blood. I don’t know what happened, but as we were leaving the PC Office, I saw one of the PC vans pull up and I ran after it like a dog running after a meat-covered car. I swung open the door and said “HEY” really loudly. I just got blank stares.

I think I over did it…

Anyway, after that, I went to meet Lizzie and Mike. We then walked to meet Khashi. Together we went out to Martuni. It was fun. We hung out for a couple days and then they headed back. Khashi and I hung out in Martuni for a couple more days with Hector. That was great.

The first full day, we went to my village and I showed them around; views of the village, my family (or those still around), and then I called Vardan and asked if we could come over. So we bought 2kg of chicken and went over to Vardan’s house. We helped Vardan make the khorovats (bbq-seriously, if you don’t know what this is by now…). It turned out really well. We basically just ate, drank, and talked for six hours. It was great. Around 11, we left the village to head back to Martuni (by taxi). Really a great time, another one of those great memories.

The next day, Lizzie and Mike left, so Hector, Khashi, and I went out to Tsovinar. My friend who is a A-14 came and visited my first winter in Armenia. David. Anyway, he lived in that village during his service and has had some trouble getting in touch with them, so we went out there. It was a lot of fun to go out there. So beautiful. So amazingly beautiful. We sat with them for about an hour or so and then walked back, taking pictures along the way. I don’t know why, but Khashi found some brown audio tape from the 80’s flapping in the wind and held onto one end of it as we walked back. Whenever we got too close to him, we were reprimanded. I wish I had a picture of that, but I don’t.

Tonight Kamran comes in to Armenia. I am excited. Because Kamran is Muslim, I have been giving him a hard time saying that Armenians will kill him and throw rocks at him. Khashi is Muslim. No problem. I’m going to see how long I can milk this…

It is so hot in Yerevan.

I will get some pictures up soon...

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment