Monday, September 19, 2011

back to Paris


Eieffel's Tower after our dinner


Brings new meaning to Napoleonic Complex...


Mike and I re-enacting a scene from Star Wars in from of Notre Dame. I was winning...


The Seine at night


I will just never understand...


There is a blog posted 5 minutes before this one detailing Toulouse, so read it first even though there is nothing in that one you need to read this one...


Day 7

Again, we woke up early and headed to the airport as we had a 11am flight back to Paris. It didn’t take long and as soon as we got back, we hit the ground running (or walking at a touristy pace).

We got back to the apartment at 1:40 took a small break and headed back out at 3 to see Sacre Coure, the Dali Museum, Moulin Rouge, a park, and Michael eating ice cream.

Sacre Coure was really nice. Well, it offered a really nice view from the hill overlooking Paris. The Dali Museum was really nice. That guy was a genius. His artwork was so intriguing to stare at. Some of his works are for sale. Investment anyone? The cheapest one we found was 1100 US but for a Dali, I feel like that is a steal.

We walked to the Moulin Rouge. Sex shops everywhere. Mike and Laura sang songs and tunes from the movie “Moulin Rouge.” Borderline awkward.

We kept walking and went to the area where Mike went to school when he lived here for a month. He said there was this fantastic stir fry place so we went there. In my mind, I thought it was going to be a fantastic French-Asian fusion restaurant. No, it was a fast food noodle shop that proved to “not be as good as I remember it to be.” We got our dinner to go and ate at a nearby park, the name escaping me right now. We sat on the grass wondering why all the French citizens were not. Ten minutes into our meal when a policeman came by and very nicely told us to get off the grass did we know why. Although no one else was doing it, the grass was inviting, there were no signs, and no railing around the area. Not even a small one. How were the Americans supposed to know?

Mike’s ice cream addiction got the best of him and he walked us around half of Paris to find this ice cream shop he had never eaten at before. It was closed. Katie was angry. That was hilarious. We ended up just watching street performers on a bridge before heading home, exhausted.

Day 8

Didn’t really do anything Saturday. Too tired. Just walked around and then came back around 4 to get some long overdue things taken care of. I skyped with Brandon which was nice since he just moved to Omaha. I bet that’s fun Brandon…

Day 9

We set out around noon. Mike and I went one way, Laura and Katie went another. Mike and I went to Napoleon’s tomb and tried to go to the Rodin museum but it didn’t seem that interesting. “The Thinker” was the only thing we wanted to see. We then walked again, all around Paris to meet with Michael’s friend who he met when they went to the Balkans together 4 years ago. Nice enough guy living in Paris going to school at American University.

We left him and walked to the Picasso museum only to find that it is closed for renovation until 2012, or 2013. So, I didn’t get to see the grey guitar…

It was approaching 6 at this point and we had already made arrangements to meet Laura and Katie by the Eiffel Tower. They were 45 minutes late so we got in line. Don’t know why because we had already been up this thing before. Halfway through, the girls show up. We get out of line because we are not that excited about going up and there were grey clouds everywhere. Instead, we sat on the park, staring at the tower and had a small dinner (which was actually not small at all).

We left there to see the Louvre at night and then went to Hard Rock Café so that I could get my pin. With all that taken care of, we came back home having spent a great last day in Paris and my last day on this continent.

Day 10

Mike packed last night and this morning I watched him get the last of his things together and head out the door. He is flying direct back to Dallas from Paris and left this morning. I guess it just hasn’t hit me yet but he has gone back to be with his family. Something I will do in three days, after being away for 27 months. Don’t know what to expect. Although I leave tonight, I still have two days left in New York with Lauren before heading home. I feel like I will be a tourist going home…

Until next time… (back in the U.S.)

No comments:

Post a Comment