Thursday, September 3, 2009

Schools back from summer

So that was my lame attempt at a Pink Floyd reference because instead of the title I have for this blog, it should be “schools out for summer.” Anyway. Things have been good. School started on Tuesday. Actually school started, classes didn’t. I got to meet all the other teachers and introduce myself in the “awesome” Armenian that I know. Oh and by the way, my school director told me that I had to make a speech in front of the whole student body. Cool. So with my 5 minutes of prep, I stood in front of the student body, about 300 some odd kids and talked about what I was going to do there, who I was and who my counterpart was. So I think this is what it may have sounded like but translated:

Hello, how are you. I am Danny. (so far so good, but wait, there’s more). I work healthcare teacher in school. My hometown is here two years. I am happy.

That is the general gist. Had I had more time and not been speaking in front of a whole bunch of people in a language I have known for 3 months, im assuming I could do a bit better than that. Either way, its over and I got a good round of applause.

School is fine. I don’t really work that much. I just go to the classes and see how the teachers teach. They don’t really. They do but there is such a scarcity in the materials its really hard to do much of anything. I don’t know how the kids do it. Its just so boring. Maybe it was the same way in the states and I just can’t remember. Actually... no, Im pretty sure the classes were more engaged. Ill tell you what though, these kids can memorize stuff. Don’t really know about their critical thinking skills but they can remember stuff. I have already thought of some projects that I can do at the school so I am excited about that. I think I am going to better the physical education part as well as create some kind of new sports team. Anthony, you would be proud.

The kids here much like in Korea go to school for 6 days a week. However, unlike Korea, the kids here go from 9 to 2, if they even have classes for all those sessions. This is a contrast to Korea where they go to school for pretty much the whole day. And when I say whole day, I mean they leave at 7 or 8 in the morning and get back around 11 at night. Its brutal.

Still after school I go to the Polyclinic. It is actually a place of refuge for me. Even though the place is filled with a bunch of women, I have become accepted and I sit in there for 2 hours or so and chit chat and learn of the Armenian healthcare system. Some of the children had to get vaccinations and it was hilarious watching that needle go into their butts which was followed by a whole lot of crying. You just have to crack up at that. About ten seconds later, the kid has already forgotten what has happened. Hilarious. The ladies there have really helped me out with the language. They go way out of their way and I am in such gratitude toward them. Now multiply that by about 2 years and I will be in way over my head. I really look forward to going there and the 2 hours just really fly by.

Today Terri and I went to the Mayor’s office because we are going to have some “meetings” at the culture house. I am going to host some healthcare classes which will focus on hygiene, first aid, food nutrition, anatomy, and some other things. Things that the village needs to know. There are some incorrect ideas floating around that may need to be corrected. Also, Terri and I are going to open up some English classes for conversation. Maybe of these kids are really good at grammar and book stuff but the second you talk to them, they have no idea whats going on. So. Maybe we can be of some assistance. Anyway, the Mayor was really nice and told us that he would help in any way he could and that if we ran into any problems he would take care of it. Im pretty sure he is in the mafia. If I do have a problem, I worry that the person causing the problem might all together disappear. (the last two sentences are a joke, so don’t tell someone that my major is in the mafia)...

Nothing else really to report. Things are going really well and I have more than enough stuff to keep my busy. I am really excited about starting projects and seeing how they turn out. I am keeping in mind that everything I want to do will not work but I’ve got two years time so I have to keep finding stuff to fill it.

This weekend everyone is getting together should be a good time.

To my parents. Mom can you email me the address in Korea where you will be so that I can mail you some pictures. You can leave the pictures in Korea because I am going to send Dad the same ones. Internet is too slow to send pictures so...

Also, people reading this, please pray for my Mom as she is flying to Korea soon and pray for my Dad because he's going to have to cook his own food...

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment