Sunday, November 8, 2009

Amazing

This week was really good. I have been trying to save money so I haven’t really left the village at all... for anything. Terri and I meet up at the culture house now about everyday to play a couple games of chess. Its a good way to be seen in the village and not just stay at home. It gives a chance for the Americans to unwind a little and talk. Its nice. The clubs we started have been interesting as well. We have three people in our English club but only one of them really takes it seriously and comes and studies. Her laugh is really funny. On Thursdays, I have a thirty minute health lesson with the people that use the Soviet style weight room. We talk about nutrition and stuff like that. Oh, wait, it hasn’t happened yet because everytime I tell them a time, they always forget and come thirty minutes late. Anyway, this Thursday its going to happen one way or another.

Also, every Friday I have a lesson at school. I really like this particular class. They are really nice and help me the best they can. Overall, everyone at the school is really nice and have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome, this includes the students. Funny story, everyone in the village calls Terri, “Miss Terri”. Terri thought that this would be a nice way for the kids to show respect because kids here just call their teachers by their last name. Well, everyone in the village calls Terri, “Miss Terri”. When I say “Terri”, people don’t know who Im talking about, but when I say “Miss Terri”, they know immediately. Its kind of funny. So, for that reason, I have just stuck with Danny. However, that has had its own problems because some people know me as Daniel, some as Danny, some as Dan. So if someone asks “do you know Danny?”, they may respond, no but I know the American named Daniel... Well done.

Also, here is a little cultural lesson. “Jan” is a term of endearment, so my host mom here calls me “Dan jan”. Which is “dear Danny”. It is a pretty often used term. Even people that just know my name and have never seen me before may call me that. Or they will call me “aghbare jan” or “dear brother”. “Aghbare” is slang for brother.

Thats one thing that I really like about Armenia as a whole. Neighbors are like neighbors you only read about in fairytales where they all know each other and just come and go as they please with no regard to intrusion. I don’t remember if I mentioned this before, but I have accidentally insulted my counterpart and neighbor because I just don’t show up at their house. When they asked me why I hadn’t come over, I finally explained to them how things in America are different. You just don’t come over uninvited. But its nice. At the same time, it can get aggravating because you may make plans to come over to someone’s house at 7. I did this with my neighbor, but when I got to his house, he was doing something else. I eventually ran into him, but in general, its just a different mindset that I have to get used to. It still boggles my mind how nice everyone here is. People in the street will just yank me into their homes for food or coffee.

Also, the mountains have snow on them and its absolutely beautiful. I need to figure out this picture thing so I can post some pictures... Soon to come, I promise.

So I don’t know if I have talked about Ani much, but she is one of my Armenian friends here who is a professional pianist. She is great. I went to her concert last night “saturday night”. I went by myself, went up to the balcony like she said and I had the best seat in the house. Balcony, looking straight down the keyboard, first row. Fantastic. It was about twenty players who each played maybe one or two pieces. It blew my mind. They were so talented it was amazing. Some of them had won international awards. There were also singers, cellists, violinists, along with pianists. Some trios and quartets. Just amazing. Ani played incredibly. You could barely see her little fingers flying around the keyboard, just utterly amazing. And... it was free. I think it was an invite only type thing, but there were maybe 200 or more people there. Did I mention it was amazing?

So after the concert, I gave her flowers and met her Mother. She introduced us and then Ani just left me and her Mom there alone. Fortunately her mom is an English teacher and has traveled around the US. She didn’t seem too excited to have met me, but after about five minutes, she started to smile and laugh so it wasn’t quite as awkward. Awkward, but not as awkward. She was nice though. I wonder what was going through her head... American, coming two hours from his village to see her daughter play, just to go back the next day. Mmmhmmm. It was great though.

One of the great things about America that I have noticed that everyone takes for granted, is opportunity. These kids that are so talented and "amazing" will only go so far. Im not saying that things are easy in America. God knows that I have struggled to get where I want to go, but it is so much easier in America. I see the dedication that Ani has (as Im sure for the others) and it blows my mind. She practices about 8 to 9 hours everyday of the week. It is apparent that this is true by her playing, but its sad to know that things may not work out and all this work may not pan out. I guess that's life, but same goes for some of the people in the village. They are so bright and could go so far but they just can't do it. The government infrastructure is not the same as in the states. The government doesn't have the same lending power so the potential is wasted. Not only does Ani want to get accepted to a school in Germany, but she has to learn German to a certain degree, and then she has to do so well to get a scholarship. All Im saying is, is that I think as Americans I think we take our country for granted for what opportunities it gives, and being here, I understand how great our government really is and how fortunate I, as well as we, are. But, at the same time, I have confidence that Ani will achieve her dreams and she will be wowing people in Germany...

I got back to Ashley’s apartment and we made spaghetti. Mike and David came over too and we just hung out for a while. This morning I left Yerevan early because the Martuni guys wanted to get together. We talked about some things, but then we made pizza over at Kyle’s house. It was really good. Then after that, his family made us Horovats. That was really good too. We then took a walk to church ruins. It was really pretty up there. I took a good amount of pictures. There are so many church ruins from a thousand years ago all over Armenia, and they are always located in such beautiful places. After that, we walked back to Martuni from his house and then I came home.

It was a really good week. In about a week and a half we have All-Vol, which is the “all-volunteers conference” should be fun. Its in Yerevan and we are staying in a hotel. The hotel part doesn’t excite me. Being in Yerevan doesn’t excite me. The fact that I am going to have a proper shower for the first time in five months excites me greatly. Every morning when you folk are taking a nice hot shower, appreciate it. Oh, by the way... Mom and Dad, when I get home, your water and electric bill is going to be through the roof because I am going to camp out in the shower.

Speaking of, before I forget. I got my flu shot, so Dad you don’t have to keep asking me every time I talk to you if I got my flu shot. H1N1 soon to come. Probably at All-Vol.

Hope things are going well with everyone else. Brandon, don’t worry, this blog is going to keep going for another 21 months so don’t you worry...

Alright, be well people. Stay warm... Im trying too.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Danny,
    Hello! I'm the mom of "Miss Terri". I LOVE reading your blog.

    In case she doesn't say anything about it, Terri's birthday is on Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 26) this year. :-) This is her golden b-day.

    Kelly Pohl

    ReplyDelete