Sunday, November 29, 2009

Another Adventure at Hector's house

Since last my last post, I haven’t really done anything. After the conference I just wanted to relax and not really do much. There is an AIDS/HIV poster contest that Peace Corps is holding and all the volunteers were asked to bring in posters from their schools. Well no one from my school wanted to do it, so during the first 30 minutes of my language class on Thursday, I brought some markers and paper in and asked them to draw whatever they wanted on the matter of AIDS. It was a disaster. I don't really know what they drew. They all drew an umbrella. Maybe this is something that they learned when they were studying AIDS, but I couldn't understand their explanation. I will have to ask someone about that. One girl drew a decent picture but I don't think that I will be submitting all the "posters". I will find out about those umbrellas though.

Friday was good. I went to school and I had my health class at school. My counterpart actually let me do something in the class. Actually I pretty much ran the whole class and she was there to support me and it was great. I thanked her a lot so that she would get the hint that this is the way its supposed to be. I wanted to prove to her that my language was good enough to run the class. With a small amount of difficulty, I managed to get through it. So that was Friday.

Saturday, I did a whole lot of nothing. I went to my basketball club in the morning and showed the kids how to do a lay-up. It was very difficult but I think that they understand the concept but just need to practice more. After the basketball club, I pretty much just read the rest of the day, caught up on some work and that's about it.

Sunday was really fun. Pat and I decided that we wanted to go to Hector's house. Always a good time there. We also decided that we wanted to walk. It was a beautiful walk. I wish I could load pictures to show people. So basically there is just one road connecting Hector's village to mine. Really nothing else. Just one road. Well the sky was this amazing blue color with no clouds and there was snow everywhere. All over the ground and the surrounding mountains. It was a really nice walk. There was a great view of the lake and from where we were this is what we saw. We saw the village, then just the white of the snow, then the blue of the lake, then the white of the snow on the mountains and then the blue of the sky. It was really nice. We met up with Hector because he wanted to meet us. So we all walked the rest of the way together.

Hector's family had company who were on their way out. After they left, it was about lunch time and we were about to eat. If you have been keeping up with my blogs you know about Hector's food nazi mom. Really sweet lady, but you just can't say no to her when she tells you to eat or else the wrath of God comes out of her eyes and you have to find somewhere to put more food. This time, I made sure that I was starving, but even though I was hungry, I still paced myself. This in addition to vodka. Of course. Can't have a meal at Hector's house without a bottle of vodka. So after all this, Hector, his host Dad, Pat and myself played dominoes. Then we played some other games and before we knew it, it was about 3:30. Time for us to leave before the sun went down. But. We had to eat again. So after stuffing myself with food three hours prior, we had to eat again. Amazing.

After finding that little amount of space in our stomachs and packing about 4 more pounds of food into that little amount of space, Pat and I left. The walk back was better than the walk there. The sun was going down and the sun cast this really nice mixture of red and orange all over the snow. Fantastic. But it was getting cold fast. I called my host Mom to let her know that I was almost home which then she replied with "we are going to Martuni". That was fine because Pat and I made an executive decision to go to Terri's house. We hung out there for about an hour and then I came home. It was a really fun day yesterday. Lots of walking but with good company.

I finally succumbed and got out my sleeping bag to put out on top of my bed. I am finally sleeping through the night without waking up from the freezing cold. I always have to wear long johns and I always wear my down jacket around the house. Its cold here but I figure if the Armenians are able to do it, then I shouldn't have a reason why I can't either.

This will just be a normal week. Nothing special to come. I guess only 25 more days till Christmas. Whoa.

Oh, did you guys see the STATE v. carolina game? Unbelievealbly amazing...

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment