Thursday, April 15, 2010

здравствуйте

So I don’t really have anything to talk about in this blog. Things have been really good lately and I think that’s because of the decent weather. Now its just rain that comes instead of snow but it is still chilly. That is one nice thing about being here in the summer. It doesn’t get too hot. It is really nice and there is a nice breeze off the lake.

Since the last time I wrote honestly nothing has changed. We had to go to Gavar and have a meeting up there. This past weekend, Hector and I were supposed to give an AIDS presentation at a University. It got cancelled the night before. Crap. I had already made arrangements to get some other things done so I had to go to Yerevan anyway. Then yesterday (Wednesday) we finally got to do the presentation but I did it with Mike instead. It went really well. We were on “Armenian time”. It was supposed to start at 1. People didn’t show up until 1:05. We started at 1:30. The room was filled. Maybe 40-50 people. There were 38-48 girls and two boys. Ha. We had a good time and afterwards we ate at Taco Maco.

That place is awesome. A guy who lived pretty close to Hector in LA moved to Armenia to start a Mexican Restaurant. It is really good. On a PC salary, it isn’t that cheap but every once in a while, its nice going to. I usually eat all my meals there when I have an extended weekend there. Pure bliss.

Anyway, I got back home to the village and... well nothing new. Everything at school is going well. I really like my living situation now. My Grandmother here is awesome. I have so many things to say about her but I can’t describe how my experience has changed. I feel like my personality has changed. I don’t want to make it sound like living with my host mother and brother was bad, its just totally different. Completely different.

The subject line is “hello” in Russian. Russian is going well, for the most part. My Armenian tutor is just amazing. Her husband, my Russian teacher is not the best teacher. This is how our lesson went today:

Me: Ok, I think I’ve done enough (2 pages in)
Him: you’re lazy
Me: No, this is just our third lesson, and we keep going from one thing to another without really studying it
Him: ok, lets practice then

-an hour later-

Him: I think we studied too much, we should stop because if there is too much to study then you won’t want to study
Me: Yeah, that’s what I said but then you called me lazy
Him: That’s exactly right, we should stop now so there isn’t too much to study.

I miss my Armenian tutor. She is just totally awesome. You know those people you are going to miss when you come home... she will definitely be one of them.

Speaking of, there is a program in America where a teacher from here gets to go over for 6 weeks and study American style teaching and everything is paid for. I think that she would be perfect for this position because she speaks English really well. So, send over hopeful thoughts that she gets it.

There is a hockey game this weekend in Yerevan that a lot of us are going to. If you have facebook you would know about this. Anyway, a bunch of us are going to it including some of my friends that I met in the Ukraine. Some Volunteers from Georgia. I am going to show them around. Should be fun. The hockey games are free and this is why... Have you ever heard of the South African, Mongolian, Armenian, or North Korean hockey teams? Yeah... Ill let you know how that goes.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment