Monday, April 26, 2010

Poetry

Nothing really happened this past week or weekend. The weather was really gloomy this past week. I wasn’t really motivated to do much I guess. I went to school and did my normal thing I suppose. The difference came in the preparation of the poetry contest we had this past Sunday. So for the last two weeks, my English class, who are tenth graders, studied to recite poems. Three in English, and three in Armenian. For the three that did the poem-reciting in English, we went over pronunciation several times and practiced a lot. They did a lot of work.

Saturday, I did a whole lot of nothing which was great. I just sat around the house watched a movie, read a bit; I mean the weather was gross outside. Saturday was Armenian Genocide Memorial Day. I had to go to my neighbors house to practice some poem stuff and saw some of it on TV. In Yerevan, there is this nice Genocide Memorial dedicated to those that died in the 1915 events. It was a nice ceremony from what I could see. Michael went and then afterwards came over to my house. When he came it was raining and I had to go and meet him, so that was kind of lame to walk around the village to find him but it was nice to see him. It was a chance for us to just hang out without others around.

The next morning, Sunday, was the day of the competition. Mike came in as one of the Judges. We got all dressed up and took the bus into Martuni. Oh my was I like an obnoxious Dad, really excited about their kids in a play. I was telling them what to do, during their recitation, I took pictures of them, we sat in a group together. I was so proud of them. They all did really well. One of them forgot some of her lines, I think from sheer nervousness because she looked over that poem a bunch of times right before her event. Overall, in the Armenian, we came in Second, and in English we came in Third. There were a lot of kids so I was really happy about this outcome. They did really well. My excitement was burst when my school director came up to me today to ask me why we didn’t come in first. He said that we were lazy. Generally he is a really nice, helpful guy so I was taken back by this. I just stared at him and I think he got the picture that I didn’t appreciate that. After this, he said, there is a next year.

So, after the competition, we had a little meeting with the director there and talked. He was a really nice guy appreciating what we as volunteers were doing here and told us to ask if we need any help for anything. Mike and hung out at Vincent’s house for a little bit and then came back home.

We got back and my host brother who is in the army was at home for a visit. Always good to see him. He guards the border between Azerbaijan and Armenia. He was really upset because it was the first time he had been home without his Mom and brother here. Sad. I actually got to talk to my host mom and brother yesterday on the phone. It was interesting to talk to them. They sounded like they were doing really well up there. Hopefully my host brother, Aram, the one that lived with me here will have an opportunity at a nice life up there.

So after all this, Mike and I took the frisbee out to the garden and threw the frisbee around. My neighbor’s son came over and we taught him how to throw the frisbee. Seemed like he enjoyed playing, so thanks to Jeremy for sending me over a frisbee.

Exciting news to those that actually regularly read this blog. Ani, the pianist, my infatuation last fall, has passed the next round of exams, and all she has to do now is pass her German exam this summer. Very exciting. I am really happy for her. So, keep her in your thoughts and wish for the best.

Well, let me update you on what’s going on for the next week. This weekend, Paul is coming to my village to follow me around my village so that is another volunteer to come and hang out. Then, this weekend we have the annual North vs. South football game, where the northern part of Armenia and the Southern part play in a game of American football. Looking forward to playing even though I am probably in the worst shape that I have ever been in my life... It will be fun though. Next week I go down south, all the way to Kapan for about a week, then I have to do PST training. I am a Trainer for the new volunteers this year coming at the end of May. Whoa, where did the last 11 months go. Crap. Anyway, got that to do, then have to prepare for the FLEX stuff, and then finally finish my Grant stuff for my toilets. Speaking of, I need to wrap this up and go do some work.

Alright, so that’s what’s going on for the next month. Awesome.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment