Friday, August 12, 2011

The hardest job you’ll ever love

This will be my last blog I write from Armenia. As I write this at 2:34 am (or that is the time I started writing this) I realize what this experience was. Actually it is a complete blur. I thought I would spend my last night in Armenia completely drunk trying to numb myself from the thought of leaving. I’m not. I am not going to lie though it is tough. Coming back from the village was tough.

I went to Verin on Monday. Halfway there, I didn’t want to go. It meant a lot of goodbyes. However, arriving there, I realized it was what was right. From the road I walked to my village, about forty minutes worth of walking. Welcomed. I got to Vardan’s house and hung out with Marine and Vardan. They got mad at me because I didn’t let them know that I was coming. They wanted to do something big for me. That, I didn’t want. I just wanted to sit around and talk to them. We were actually invited to a khorovats because some of his neighbors who live in Russia came to visit so we had a nice khorovats. Along the way, I said goodbye to Arpine, my language tutor and neighbor. That night wasn’t too bad. The next morning was horrible. I have to say I hate Peace Corps for that, taking me away from my Armenian family. They took me in the instant I got to the village, and like several times mentioned before, they looked after me. I was their American. Vardan was a huge part of that. He was always there, going way out of his way to do whatever he could to make sure that I was well taken care of. It is without hesitation I say that he shaped my experience here. I will miss my conversations with him and his wife. Sometimes heated, but always interesting, learning a new point of view.

I said my goodbyes. I was finished with my village and being a volunteer there. A neighbor gave me a ride to Martuni where I caught my last marshutni ride. The ride was so beautiful riding next to the lake, one last time.

I got off at Charentsavan, my old training center. I met with Ani and we talked for a while. The funny part about this was that she asked for me to take some earrings back to the US to her relatives who live in Charlotte. But then, it turned into a necklace and a plate and some other things…Why not. (By the way Mom and Dad, I shipped another package home. Let me know when it gets there). It was great talking with her.

I then headed out to Solak. It wasn’t the same. I said my goodbyes but it was not like my village. That is all I have to say about that.

I got into Yerevan, staying at Jason and Elvira’s. The following day I finished up all my paperwork. Thursday, I was not longer a PCV. Well maybe I was, but all my paperwork was taken care of. It was sad saying goodbye to the staff who supported us through the last two years. To me, it is different. It’s not just a job to them. Armenians have pride in their country and give due thanks to those who try and help the land they love. The Armenians go above and beyond what they need to do, from what the job requires. It is apparent just as a feeling, so thank you staff for everything you do.

My last full day in Armenia was surreal. I still can’t believe that this day has come. In the past I just don’t think about it. It was just too far off but here it is, the day when I have to leave the country. A place I have called home for two years, a place that has included me as family. Just as hard as it was leaving the US 26 months ago, it is just as hard today leaving to go back. A sentiment I just can’t explain and a feeling most of you reading will never understand. I went around today saying goodbye to different places. The Envoy Hostel, where several of my close friends worked, a place where I wasn’t a customer but a friend. I became close friends with Gevorg the hostel manager, Anahit and Ani. I said goodbye to American Councils, the organization that sent me to Kiev and gave me an amazing opportunity to interact with and hopefully help shape the future of Armenia, amazing kids.

I took out Elvira and Jason to a nice dinner. Some of the greatest people on the planet. Jason and have the hugest hearts. They always let me into their house and welcomed me. They also became close friends and supported me when I really needed the help to get though personal challenges. They and Khashi will probably be the hardest to say goodbye tomorrow morning when I wake up in 4 hours.

We went to our hookah bar. Nothing totally out there. There was a sense in the air that after tomorrow it just wasn’t going to be the same. Khashi, Gevorg, Mike, Emily, Jason and I, just sat around talking. My closest and best friends in this country, excluding some who had to continue working as they still have a year left in service. It was great. As Mike, Jason, and I were walking home, we stopped at the park where Jason works. We sat there and talked about whatever. I don’t know of a better way to have ended my time in Armenia.

This blog could go on for pages and pages. As I am delirious with sleep deprivation it becomes more challenging to write how I feel. Maybe it’s not due to delirium, but an unequivocal feeling that this is it. I have met some of the greatest people in my life thus far here. People who have changed my ways of thinking. However, I hold no regrets. I have “left everyone on the field.” I came and am leaving knowing that I made an impact and have also been impacted. I leave with a heavy heart, but one knowing that I have grown as a person, as a human, maybe making the world just a little bit better. I know that Armenia has made me a much better person and for that, I owe a great deal of gratitude.

I leave tomorrow as an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) and I am proud to be apart of the 200,000 others who have served in the world since 1961 promoting peace and development aboard.

A million thank you’s to Armenia and all that everyone has done for me. I will never forget it.

Mom and Dad, your son is coming home. Just 5 more weeks. I’m looking forward to it and am really excited.

Take care of the volunteers in Armenia, just as you have done for me.

I leave tomorrow morning with my good friend Michael. We were together since the beginning training in the same training village and supporting each other the last two years. It is only right that we leave together tomorrow. Updates to come as we continue on our way home.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment